HOW TO MAKE BUTTERMILK QUICK BREAD WITH 10 DIFFERENT VARIATIONS
Basic Buttermilkk Quick Bread - makes one loaf
2 cups (10 ounces) all purpose flour
1/2 cup (4 ounces) white sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) buttermilk
1 large egg
1/4 cup (2 ounces) unsalted butter, olive oil or vegetable oil
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray with non-stick cooking spray a 9 x 4 inch baking pan.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda an salt in large mixing bowl. Melt butter, if using. In separate bowl whisk melted butter (or oil), buttermilk and egg.
Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients. Gently stir and fold ingredients until all flour has been incorporated and a shaggy, wet batter is formed. Be careful NOT to overmix.
Scrape batter into prepared pan and pat it into the corners. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes . When finished the loaf should be domed and golden, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let loaf cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing and slicing.
Wrap baked loaves tightly in plastic wrap and store at room temperature. Baked loaves can also be wrapped in plastic wrap and foil and frozen for up to 3 months
Sugar can be reducd to a tablespoon for more savory breads.
Up to half the flour can be substituted with alternative flours
Replace the buttermilk with a mix of yogurt and milk or milk with a squeeze of lemon.
Use up to 1-1/2 cups fruits, nutss, olives, cheese or other ingredients, added to the dry ingredients.
Use 1 to 3 teaspoons of herbs or spices, added to dry ingredients.
1. Cranbury-Walnut loaf: 1 cup dried cranberries, 1/2 cup toasted and chopped walnuts
2. Apple-Cinnamon Loaf: 1 cup diced apples, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 cup toasted and chopped nuts
3. Cherry-Almond Loaf: 1 cup dried cherries, 1/2 cup toasted and chopped almonds, 1 teaspoon almond extract.
4. Blueberry Loaf: 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, 1 teaspoon vanilla, zest from 1 lemon
5. Ginger-Orange Loaf: zest from 2 oranges, 1/4 cup minced crystallized ginger, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, pinch of cloves, pinch of nutmeg.
6. Herbed Sundried tomato and Cheese Loaf: reduce sugar to 1 tablespoon; 1/2 cup grated cheese, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon thyme; 2 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes.
7. Onion-Dill Loaf: reduce sugar to 2 tablespoons; 1 minced onion, cooked until soft; 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill.
8. Pesto loaf: reduce sugar to 1 tablespoon; 1/4 cup pesto; 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
9. Spicy Jalapeno loaf: reduce sugar to 2 tablespoons; 1/4 cup minced jalapeno peppers; 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese; 2 teaspoons chili powder
10. Irish Soda Bread Look-Alike Loaf: reduce sugar to 1/4 cup ; 1 tablespoon caraway seeds; 3/4 cup raisins.
I know I've made (in the past) several variations of these - apple, blueberry, cranberry and a couple of the savory ones -- but changed a bit: the Sun Dried tomato and also the jalapeno ... Those 2 I made in different pan - (and I can't find where I noted this on my copy of recipe - but I did them in a square or rectangular pan so they would be flatter -- and then I could cut in squares, etc. and top with other stuff to use as appetizer.
Today I made 2 loaves - 1 blueberry with pecans and some fresh minced basil - plus the lemon zest. Yummy. Also, I had some mango that needed to be used ... chopped it and added some lime zest, chopped toasted almonds and a bit of crystalzed ginger. That, too turned out well.
I guess I mainly posted this ... as, for me (before I lost it!) it was handy ... (and good) ... and it was easy to come up with more than 10 variations.