The desire to make something different for her family members, combined with their love of pancakes and breakfast sandwiches, resulted in life member Sandy Paananen’s creation of these filled cakes. Sandy loves to experiment with new recipes. “My husband tells me I’m like a mad scientist in the kitchen, adding things haphazardly until a pleasurable aroma erupts from the pot.”
2 tablespoons butter
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, chopped (4 cups)
1/4 cup apple juice or cider
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons canola oil
1. Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples, apple juice and lemon juice; cook 3 minutes.
2. In small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir into apple mixture. Cook 2 minutes or until apples are softened, sugar has melted and sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally. When ready to assemble pancakes, heat over medium heat until warm.
3. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and baking soda. In small bowl, whisk together milk, cream, oil and egg. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture.
4. Heat griddle; lightly oil. Pour scant 1/3 cup batter per pancake onto griddle, spreading into 5-inch circles. Cook until bubbles form on top; turn. Cook 1 1/2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Keep warm while cooking remaining pancakes.
5. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the warm apple mixture into center of each pancake; roll or fold in half.
PER SERVING: 395 calories, 20 g total fat (8.5 g saturated fat), 6.5 g protein, 48.5 g carbohydrate, 75 mg cholesterol, 535 mg sodium, 2 g fiber