The grasshopper, a minty cocktail popular in the ‘50s and ‘60s, makes a comeback in this chocolate-crusted cream pie. The filling is fluffy and creamy, the flavor mildly minty—the perfect way to cap a meal.
2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs*
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups whole milk
4 egg yolks
1 (7-oz.) jar marshmallow creme
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup green or white crème de menthe or mint-flavored syrup
1 cup whipping cream
4 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 325°F. In medium bowl, stir together all crust ingredients until crumbs are evenly moistened. Press into bottom and up sides of 9-inch pie pan, taking care not to make edges too thick. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set and edges are dry. Cool on wire rack. (Don’t worry if center of crust looks soft and oily after baking; it will crisp as it cools.)
2. In medium saucepan, whisk together 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Whisk in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium; cook 2 minutes or until thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; quickly whisk in egg yolks until blended. Return to heat; bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in marshmallow creme and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Place chocolate in small bowl. Immediately pour 1 cup of the hot marshmallow mixture over chocolate; stir until chocolate is melted. Spread chocolate filling over bottom of crust; refrigerate 20 minutes. Cool remaining hot marshmallow mixture while chocolate sets, stirring occasionally.
4. Whisk crème de menthe into marshmallow mixture (it will still be warm); pour over chocolate layer. Refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours.
5. In medium bowl, beat all topping ingredients at medium-high speed until firm but not stiff peaks form. Spread topping over pie. Refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator.
TIP * Crush chocolate wafer cookies or chocolate sandwich cookies in food processor or in plastic bag with rolling pin.
PER SERVING: 555 calories, 31 g total fat (17.5 g saturated fat), 6 g protein, 63.5 g carbohydrate, 170 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 1.5 g fiber