Mark Militello, chef-owner of Mark's South Beach on Miami Beach and Mark's Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale, created this fiery, smoky sauce after a sojourn in the French West Indies. It's everything a barbecue sauce should be -- sweet, tart, fruity, fiery and smoky -- and the perfect topper for a grilled fish steak or chicken. It's made with Scotch bonnets, the chile of choice in the West Indies and the hottest chile around. Scotch bonnets are similar in appearance to habaneros, which can be substituted.
2 cups oak or hickory wood chips
1 green bell pepper 1 red bell pepper 1 small onion, halved 1 large mango, peeled, seeded, diced (about 2 cups) 1 to 3 Scotch bonnet or habanero chiles, halved
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried thyme 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup cider vinegar 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 2 tablespoons molasses 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1. Soak wood chips 1 hour in water to cover; drain. Meanwhile, heat grill. If using charcoal grill, place wood chips on coals. If using gas grill, place chips in smoker box following manufacturer's instructions. Or wrap chips in foil; make holes in package with pencil. Place package over one of burners under grate.
2. When thick cloud of smoke forms, place tomatoes, green bell pepper, red bell pepper and onion on grill. Cook 6 to 8 minutes or until skins are charred and blistered on all sides. Place vegetables on cutting board; cool.
3. Scrape off charred skin and remove seeds and core from peppers. Finely chop vegetables.
4. Place in large saucepan. Add all remaining ingredients; partially cover. Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat to low. Gently simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding additional water as needed to keep ingredients moist. Cool slightly.
5. Blend sauce in blender in batches until smooth. Press through sieve or strainer into medium bowl.
PER 1/4 CUP: 80 calories, .5 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 1 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 0 mg cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, .5 g fiber