“Most of my recipes are inspired by my favorite ingredients,” says life member Christina Collins. “I typically just throw them together and hope it tastes good. I’d like to say that I thought about it for weeks, but it’s usually just hit-or-miss.” Salads are Christina’s favorite things to make, and she always prepares a special one to pair with a meal. In this salad, she says, “there are many great flavors that burst in your mouth with every bite.”
1 large onion, sliced (3 cups)
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
4 oz. soft goat cheese
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (5-oz.) pkg. baby spinach
1/2 cup toasted salted pepitas or pine nuts*
1/2 cup julienned oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1. Cook onion in butter in medium skillet over medium-high heat 12 to 15 minutes or until brown, stirring frequently.
2. Process walnuts in food processor until finely ground. Divide goat cheese into 8 pieces; roll into balls. Roll in walnuts.
3. Whisk oil, vinegar and pepper in small bowl.
4. Arrange spinach on plates; top with caramelized onions, pepitas and sun-dried tomatoes.
5. Place cheese balls on microwave-safe plate; microwave 10 seconds. Place around salad. Serve dressing on side.
TIP *To toast pepitas (green pumpkin seeds), place on baking sheet; bake at 350ºF. for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
4 (2-cup) servings
PER SERVING: 440 calories, 38 g total fat (10.5 g saturated fat), 18 g protein, 13.5 g carbohydrate, 20 mg cholesterol, 355 mg sodium, 4 g fiber